Crawl Space Insulation
Insulation for South Bend, WA Crawlspaces and Basements
Old School, Batt Insulation
Insulating between the ground and the floor of your home is one of the most critical areas to have a thermal barrier. Traditionally batt fiberglass insulation has been what builders and contractors have used in floor joists. But there are significant problems with this outdated technology:
- It is exceedingly difficult to use rectangular material like batt insulation and get a tight fit around round or oval shaped pipes and vents.
- Not having a tight air seal in the crawl space not only allows cold air to enter your house, but it allows mod, earth gases and allergens enter your living space. If you have ever stuck you head inside your crawl space you perhaps have noticed the dank, dirt smell present in the air. That stale air is entering your house through conventional batt insulation in small quantities.
- Gravity! Regardless how insulation is fastened between floor joist, staples, wire, string, gravity over months and years begins to sag. This reduces your thermal and air sealing even more.
- Very often in the northwest, part of the year you may have moisture or standing water collect in your crawl space. Even when a sump pump has been installed, water is present and collecting into pockets. This causes your insulation to become damp, damaging its structural integrity.
- Fiberglass insulation is superior to spray foam insulation in this one regard, it provides excellent bedding for four-legged house guests that would like to make your crawlspace their home. There are a whole host of critters that are as excited as you are to move into your new home. Will you provide a comfy space for them with fiberglass?
A Better Way, Spray Foam Insulation
Closed cell spray foam provides a solution for every problem present with Batt insulation.
- It provides a superior fit because it is sprayed as a liquid on the surf of your floor. Foam gets into every nook and cranny of your floor. Closed cell spray foam expands 30 times its original volume. This results in an air tight seal, keeping cold dank air from your crawl space out of your living space.
- Closed cell spray foam is a vapor barrier, so even if or when water gets into your crawl space moisture and dampness will not reach your subfloor.
- Closed cell spray foam, sprayed on at a 4” thick layer provides a superior thermal barrier but also leaves room for plumbers, electricians, cables installers to crawl around and work with greater ease and not breath in fiberglass particles in the air.
- Mice and rats agree, spray foam does not make for good nesting material. Chances are if you use spay foam insulation in your home…they will simply move out and head to the neighbor’s home.
- Closed Cell Spray foam is a product that will pay you back month after month as long has you have your home, with lower heating costs.
Your Home is your greatest investment, Life happens at home, is it really a place you want to take shortcuts and use antiquated inferior technology? Give us a call and let us help make your house into a home!